2/09/2009

Filoli Meeting

The visit to Filoli this morning was splendid! After a short informational meeting for the 2009 Filoli Flower Show - Kaleidoscope of Flowers - we were set free to choose our site location. A little background first - this event is a premiere showcase of floral arrangements in the beautifully furnished and preserved historic mansion and gardens at Filoli and is a long established tradition four-day event, to take place on Mother's Day weekend, May 7 - 10.

From the meeting, I was already leaning toward the "Butler's Pantry," but when I got there, I wasn't so sure anymore. The room instantly spelled of fresh breads when I walked in and the tiffany-blue cabinets were striking. But these two elements alone did not inspire any ideas. All I could do was stand there and wonder, what to do with a sink counter?

I knew I wanted repeated elements, something that lined down the counter, something clean, something sweet, something that brightened up the sink counter like the incredibly bright ray of light shining through the windows above on this seeping cold winter day. Then the idea hit and I went running. So fast that quickly afterward, I went to IKEA, and more ideas formed as I was inspired by all their "metal" kitchen items/gadgets. Ideas/construction/flower choices are still brewing in my head, but looks like I will be creating a "modernized version of our everyday kitchen counter."

2 comments:

Tinygami said...

I've never heard of Filoli before! Now I can't wait to go there some day to take a tour!

Annie Siu | Floral & Events said...

I didn't realize you had posted so many comments until now! You're right, once you start getting comments, you can't help but keep blogging! =P
You should really check out Filoli, especially this year's Filoli Show that I keep talking about how we'll be doing flowers for one of the rooms! =P